Monday, September 1, 2014

Why Old People Are the Best

 I don't understand why there's such a thing as Gerontophobia, or a fear of old people. Old people are the best! Sure, there are exceptions to the rule, like the cranky farts who tell me my tattoos are "disfiguring", or that I shouldn't work in customer service because I don't know what the hell I'm doing. But those are few and far between. Most of the elderly that come my way are the little old ladies that think my bright purple hair is the most amazing thing ever, that I'm gorgeous and sweet and brilliant.
 
  Is that terribly narcissistic of me? Of course. This is the one place in my life where I just don't care, because I'm surrounded by people every day that put me down because they're frustrated, they're impatient, they're going through things in their life that I can't begin to understand. So I push through it with a smile plastered on my face, trying to make them feel better, if only for a few minutes. Sometimes, when an older person walks in and is super nice, I don't feel as down. My smile gets bigger, more genuine. 
  

 Here are some of the adorable quips old people offer every day:
 1) Sassy (one of my coworkers): "Can I help you over here, Mr. Jim?"
 Mr. Jim: "No, no. I'll wait for this beautiful young lady over here. I don't care how long it takes."
 2) "Oh, I'm always so glad to see you, Happy. I come in and ask if you're here. When you're not, I don't know what to do with myself. Who else will make me smile?"
 3) "There she is! The golden girl!"
 4) "Here, my friend. This for you. You always so sweet and nice." Mr. Neda always buys me candy.
 5) "Happy, don't stop smiling. You look so beautiful when you smile -- it makes my day."
 6) "You're a brave girl! I could never dye my hair like that. I wish I'd been that brave at your age."
                And my favourite:
             "Happy, you're living proof that youth isn't wasted on the young."
     
   So, here's to you, old people! Come into SuchandSuch anytime, and I'll be Happy to help you out.
  After all, that's my job. because I'm Happy and I'm Here to Help!

No comments:

Post a Comment