Monday, August 18, 2014

Pick-ups at the check-out

  What is it with people coming onto the cashier? I'm not hideous, but I'm certainly not the prettiest doll in the porcelain shop, either. So what drives people to hit on their cashier while I'm checking them out for cigarettes, a piece of gum, adult diapers?


           I'll tell you something, though: It's not very appropriate. Recently, I had a man become very angry with me for rejecting his advances, saying that if I didn't want people to flirt with me, I shouldn't 'ask for it' by wearing makeup. What does that mean, exactly? That I shouldn't make an effort to look well, and maybe feel better about myself by dolling up a little? My job is boring; I should be allowed the little bits of glamour that I can gather.
             Now, I'm only human. When I see a cute girl at the register, I might subconsciously try to put on the charm. But will I stand in line for twenty minutes, holding up people behind me while trying to hook up with her?

   This is my place of business, sir/miss/madame. I'm not here to flirt, make eyes, or tease. I have an obligation to my customers to make sure that every one of you has an excellent experience while shopping at SuchandSuch. The same pretty much goes for every other cashier I've had the opportunity to speak with. We don't like to give out our numbers while on duty, or accept yours, or look up your youtube videos or watch your band play or go out for drinks.
     Then again, if you offer to buy me food...
 

Just kidding. I don't much like that, either. The moral of the story here is: always respect the boundaries of the cashier. It's flattering that you think we're attractive enough to hit on, but you never know who's going to take offense, who has a boyfriend or girlfriend, whose dad/mom is a cop. It's just not store policy. If you're really serious about making a connection, it might do you well to start slowly. I have a lot of customers that make excellent friends, and if they're my regulars and make an effort to get to know me for me (not just because I'm the kind of chipped porcelain doll they're collecting these days), I might agree to meet them for coffee after a few months. Months. Not seconds after I check them out for milk. 

Any questions, complaints, comments, or riots? SuchandSuch loves your feedback, and I do, too!
After all, I'm Happy, and I'm here to help!

No comments:

Post a Comment